Send us an e-mail please: giantpengy@yahoo.com

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

25 Days of Horrible Holiday Decorations: Day 11 - The Last Christmas Supper


Every year, the citizens of Meadow (pronounced "meta"), North Carolina, decorate their town with thousands of Christmas lights and displays honoring both Jesus and the USA, and invite the rest of the state to drive slowly by and gawk.

I had the distinct pleasure of taking a ride through the town of Meadow last Saturday and it was nothing short of magical.  Sure, the traffic is awful and Meadow is roughly the size of a postage stamp, but, wow, the lights.  In all honesty, some of the lights were really great.  Some of the holiday displays, however, were a bit, um, let's say muddled.

There is a series of displays, titled "Happy Birthday Jesus," which depict the significant moments in the life of the Christian savior of the world, Jesus Christ, not all of them the Christmas parts.  There is a nativity scene and the neon-colored wisemen.  This is followed by a scene in which two mannequins dressed in bathrobes watch a third mannequin stand behind a podium.  I've been mulling it over since last weekend and I cannot figure out what this weird life-sized diorama is supposed to represent.  It's got to be an event that occurred between Jesus's birth and the Last Supper, as this is where the scene falls in the sequence of displays, but I don't remember any stories about two dudes watching a third dude stand behind a podium in a cramped shed.  If you've got any ideas, drop me a line.

The strangest part of the "Happy Birthday Jesus" sequence is the inclusion of the Easter story.  You've got the last supper (pictured above for you heathens that don't know any better), followed by the Crucifixion, which is great yuletide fun as you can probably imagine.  Along with the three crosses, by the way, is a vintage gas pump.  I took a picture, but it didn't turn out very well.

The Last Supper is especially horrible because, and I have this on good authority, the disciples' beards are actually ladies' wigs.  Yes, the disciples have wigs attached to their chins.  Oh, Meadow.

I'm just busting your chestnuts, Meadow.  I had a good time slowly rolling through your town.  And your country buffet restaurant was absolutely delicious, even though I had to wait in line for an hour-and-a-half and my daughter was hungry and cold (Actually, she did all right.  There was lots of stuff to do in line.).  Let's do it again next year.  Maybe I can get some better pictures.


3 comments:

Gabe Sealey-Morris said...

Oh my God. Meadow is just down the highway from where I grew up, and was a yearly tradition. I'm guessing it's probably EXACTLY the same as it was twenty years ago.

And the Meadow buffet is not delicious. Or it didn't used to be. Everything used to taste like fish.

Matt said...

I don't attach the word "delicious" to just anything, sir. I'm gonna guess they've improved things over there because only the fish tasted like fish. Everything else tasted like the food it was supposed to taste like.

Blogger said...

Did you know you can create short urls with Shortest and receive money for every click on your shortened urls.