Send us an e-mail please: giantpengy@yahoo.com

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Last 3 Movies: Creature/The Dunwich Horror/Wreck-It Ralph

I watch a lot of movies.  After every third movie I watch, I like to take a moment and reflect on those last three movies.  I do this in a feature I've decided to call Last 3 Movies.

[A quick apology: While reflecting upon and writing about the three movies included in today's post, I completely forgot that our 2nd Lawson Family Movie Night had fallen between my viewing of Creature and The Dunwich Horror.  We watched The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland, which is a film that follows Sesame Street's Elmo on a quest to retrieve his stolen blankie from Mandy Patinkin.  It includes a scene featuring a farting chicken.  I don't know how I could've forgotten this shining gem of cinema when compiling this installment of Last 3 Movies, but I did, so, no Elmo in Grouchland.  I'm thinking about doing a Movie Penguin Monday for it sometime in the future.  Don't worry.  I won't deny you nice people my thoughts on the Elmo movie.  For now, let's all try to get past this.  I realize by leaving Elmo in Grouchland out of this post, I am essentially lying to all of you, and for that I am very sorry.]  
Film: Creature (1985)

Why did I watch this?: I dunno.

The viewing experience: Do you like Alien rip-offs?  Are you an insomnia sufferer who has yet to find a cure for your lonely, sleepless nights?  If you answered 'yes' to either or both of these questions, Creature may be the movie for you.

Look, I don't know why I do these things.  That's kind of a lie.  I do know.  I go into every obscure movie viewing experience hoping to discover something special.  I've had some successes (The Deadly Spawn; Tourist Trap; the "Dreamhouse" segment in Screamtime) and I've experienced some crushing defeats (I Can See You; the remaining segments in Screamtime).  Creature, unfortunately, falls squarely in the failure column.

This is another one I fell asleep to.  Why did I bother even finishing it, you ask?  I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you.  Wanna hear something crazy?  I didn't even finish watching Creature the next evening.  Nope, I waited almost a week to watch the second half.  You're right to shake your head and frown.  I'm an idiot.

Fun Fact: Wendy Schaal, the voice of Francine on American Dad, plays a major role in Creature.  It's fun to close your eyes whenever she speaks and imagine it's Francine.  Of course, in doing so, you run the risk of falling asleep.  Which I did.

This might be a reason to watch?  Maybe?: About 30-minutes in, Klaus Kinski pops up as a randy, marooned German astronaut.

Film: The Dunwich Horror (1970)

Why did I watch this?: I am a fan of both H.P. Lovecraft and Roger Corman.

The viewing experience:  I totally didn't fall asleep, guys!  I actually watched this one on a sunny Saturday afternoon rather than some ungodly hour on a weeknight.

The Dunwich Horror starts off pretty good, then slowly gets worse and worse.  Dean Stockwell is fun to watch as Wilbur Whateley, with his buggy eyes and his laid-back Satanic hippie routine, and Sandra Dee is easy on the eyes, but the movie loses its way once the titular "horror" is released.

Recommendation (The Dunwich Horror): Head to your local library and check out a book of Lovecraft's short stories.  "The Dunwich Horror" will probably be in it.  Read that.  It's tons better.

Recommendation (Dean Stockwell): Watch Blue Velvet.  He lip-syncs "In Dreams" into a flashlight.  It's fucking nuts!

Film: Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

Why did I watch this?:  Family Movie Night #3

The viewing experience: Despite it's glaring lack of Elmo, the sole reason for her cruel dismissal of Toy Story 3 on our very first Family Movie Night, my daughter very much enjoyed Wreck-It Ralph.  And why wouldn't she?  The bright candy colors, the adorable characters, the fast-paced action, the hilarious hijinks: Wreck-It Ralph has it all.

Best of 2012?: If I'd seen it in time, Wreck-It Ralph would've taken the #2 spot on my Top 10 Favorite Movies of 2012 list, that's how much I loved this thing.  I recommend watching it as soon and as often as possible.

Memorable Quotes: "If you want to see Daddy cry at a cartoon, look over here right now."  --me, to my daughter while watching/sobbing during Wreck-It Ralph


2 comments:

Gary said...

If you like HP Lovecraft and the Mountain Goats, it will all come full circle when those 2 worlds collide on "Lovecraft in Brooklyn".

Matt said...

I'll check that out. Thanks, Gary.