Send us an e-mail please: giantpengy@yahoo.com

Monday, July 29, 2013

Get It Off My Facebook Page!!!: Diamond Rio Banned For Believing

A lot of us have "friends" on Facebook that we consider un-friending on a daily basis, but to do so would take away the perverse joy we get from their often asinine posts.  In GEP's newest feature, Get It Off My Facebook Page!!!, I will share with my readers some of the stupidest, strangest and outright ridiculous garbage that clutters my personal FB page on a daily basis.  I don't plan on revealing any names, because people are entitled to their wrong opinions and dumb philosophies (J/K LOL!).


In general, it is a good rule of thumb to check Snopes.com before sharing anything that sounds even the teensiest bit untrue or ridiculous, like this 100% untrue and ridiculous story that was shared in my Facebook News Feed this morning:

A song some radio stations are banning, the song you are about to listen to, was played at a Las Vegas Diamond Rio concert. They received an immediate resounding standing ovation, and continue to do so every time they perform it! 

Sadly, major radio stations wouldn't play it because it was considered politically incorrect'. 

Consequently, the song was never released to the public. 

Now Congress is getting involved. 

Your President is saying that is not fit for release because it offends so many. 

So America , see what you think... 

If this offering speaks to your heart and you feel you want to share it with friends and loved ones, please do so now. 

It was accompanied by this video:





Look, I've already stopped by Snopes, so I know this story is a big bag o' lies, but I was roughly 100% certain this was nothing but woe-is-me-everybody-hates-Christians propaganda the second I saw it.  Was it because I'm way smarter than the person who wrote it and the "friend" who shared it and added her own two cents ("We are exposed to all matter or TRASH on the radios, but this song is not PC?? I wish to hear it every day")?  Not necessarily, I simply thought about what I'd read for longer then three seconds.   Let's go point by point.

1. ...major radio stations wouldn't play it because is was considered politically incorrect 

Or, you know, it just didn't fit the format.

"In God We Still Trust" is, as far as I can tell, a Contemporary Country song.  It also wouldn't be out of place on a Contemporary Christian radio station.  Last time I took a spin around the radio dial (and anyone who reads this blog regularly knows I do this quite often), I fond plenty of country and Christian music stations, too many country ones probably.  I'm sure country music stations played this song when it came out in 2006.  Why wouldn't they, unless it wasn't tracking well for whatever reason?  Most Contemporary Country music fans I know would not be offended by the lyrics to "In God We Still Trust."

And it would be foolish to expect Top 40, alternative, classic rock and urban radio stations to play this song, wouldn't it?  By not playing something, a radio station isn't necessarily banning it, it just don't fit the format, as I've already stated.

2. ...this song was never released to the public

Sure it was.  In 2006.  On Diamond Rio's Greatest Hits, Volume 2.  You can literally go to Amazon.com right this second and buy it.  You can buy just this song for 99-cents.

3. Now Congress is getting involved

No they're not.

4. Your President  is saying that it is not fit for release because it offends so many

Oh, I see.  This is another attack on Barack Obama.  Question: Why would President Obama care about a song from seven years ago?  He didn't even take office until 2009, and "In God We Still Trust" came out in 2006.  Are you trying to tell me Barack Obama has held a grudge  against this song since 2006, and that he is now spending a least a portion of his time in office to ban it from the airwaves?  If you think that's true, you are the stupidest human being to ever walk the Earth.

Think before you post dumb junk on your Facebook page, old people.  I don't want to have to block you because you keep falling for urban legends.  Do me a favor and just GET IT OFF MY FACEBOOK PAGE!!!

3 comments:

Samantha said...

I think I'm going to enjoy this new segment you've created.

Matt said...

I wish I'd started it sooner. I got the idea after someone posted an "abortion diagram" (that's how I described it in a note on my phone--I can't remember what it looked like, but it was probably gross) in the News Feed, but I didn't get to it. I regret that. I won't miss a thing from this point forward.

Jonathan said...

My theory is that most people don't even read the articles before they post them. If they did, they'd realize stuff like this is fake pretty quickly. And you'd think they'd be embarrassed when it turns out something they post isn't true, but they pretty clearly aren't. Because "it's just facebook" or something. Maddening.