Send us an e-mail please: giantpengy@yahoo.com

Friday, April 25, 2014

100 Songs I Love (152-154)

Here we are at the cusp of another weekend, so, why don't we revisit one of my favorite features and get you acquainted with some more of the music I think is worth listening to.  Let's start with my favorite song right now, a song I can't seem to go a day without listening to one or ten times.

152. "Oblivion" (Grimes)

Grimes (AKA Claire Boucher) has a hypnotizing voice, that when combined with this song's sludgy beat--it makes me imagine stomping thorough a digital mud pit while birds with tiny synthesizers for heads sing in the surrounding trees--releases something in my brain that transports me to a dream-like state that I want to get lost in.  That being said, Grimes apparently wrote "Oblivion" to work through her feelings following a sexual assault.  This makes the song both a beautiful dream and a powerful anthem of growth.  Also, it's just really fucking good.

A declaration: Grimes' album Vision, on which "Oblivion" appears, will be the next physical compact disc I purchase.  I could just buy it on iTunes, but the cover art is creepy, and I want both passersby and passengers of my car to see it on my front seat and, I don't know, freak out a little.

Additional listening/viewing:  Head over to YouTube and type in "Grimes Genesis."  If the results make you simultaneously pleased and displeased with me, than you did it right.

153. "DJ, Ease My Mind" (Niki & The Dove)

There is nothing better to heal one's shattered soul after something traumatic then the right song.  I'm not saying "DJ, Ease My Mind" is that song--I mean, it very well could be--but that's the message here, and I fully embrace it.

A confession:  I was more than a little disappointed to discover that this song wasn't about DJ from Roseanne being asked to soothe singer Malin Dahlström's mind.

Additional listening/viewing:  I came to know Niki & The Dove through their song "The Fox," which I encourage you to seek out as well on YouTube.  That video is pretty weird too.

154. "Fargo, North Dakota" (Carter Burwell)


My brother-in-law shared something very disturbing with me just before Easter dinner at my parents' house this year: he has never seen Fargo.  I'll give you a moment to clean off your computer screen, as I'm sure you just spit out whatever you just had in your mouth (coffee, chicken noodle soup, your dentures, a large amount of saliva due to an overactive salivary gland, etc) all over it.  I begged him to see it as soon as possible, tears welling up in my eyes, my hands clenched into tiny fists.

I love Fargo.  I saw it twice when it was in theaters.  The first time I saw it, I had to skip out of school early to get to the theater on time (For tips on how to accomplish this, write to my personal e-mail address and then hop a time machine to 1996, because there is no way you could get away with it today.)  The second time, I took a girl I kind of liked, but mostly because I couldn't think of anything else to do with her and I  just really wanted to see Fargo again.  She didn't like it--she was a girl from my church, and apparently she took all of that stuff seriously--and I probably thought she was dumb because I was, and am, a movie snob.  We never really dated.  I blame Fargo.  Thank you so much, Fargo!

In college, I spent many a night in my dorm room watching my VHS copy of Fargo.  I showed that same VHS copy to my wife when we first started dating.  I can't say for sure, but the night we watched Fargo and Jen told me she enjoyed it, might be the night I fell in love with her.

As most of you know, there is now a Fargo television series.  It's great.  Can't recommend it enough.  Watching it though, I was inspired to revisit Fargo, which is streaming on Netflix as of right now this very moment.  The above song is ostensibly the theme song, though it plays throughout.  Every time it pops up on the soundtrack, I get goose bumps.  Dammit, what a great piece of music this is!  They've even sort of weaved it into the soundtrack of the TV show.

Seriously, if you've never seen Fargo, join Netflix and watch it right now.  Or find someone with Netflix, get all chummy with him or her and suggest that the two of you watch Fargo.  If that person says "No" or "I don't like that movie, but I do like 27 Dresses," stop being that person's friend immediately.  If you are my brother-in-law, bro, you can come over anytime you want and we'll watch it.  I'm home right now!  Get over here!


No comments: